Half a whole corn-fed chicken, circa 600g
For the sweet and sour sauce:
30 ml off the shelf Thai sweet chili sauce
1 ½ tbsps Chinese black vinegar
35g sweet mango
35g green apple
35g white onions
1 tsp vegetable oil
Salt & pepper
Mixed salad leaves
Mustard cress and desiccated coconut to garnish
For the Nam Jim marinade:
2 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp palm sugar
3 small red shallots chopped
3 birds eye chillies
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1. Marinate the chicken overnight in Nam Jim sauce or teriyaki if preferred.
2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
3. Slice and prep sweet mango and apple into cubes, and dice white onions.
4. Sear the chicken on all sides in a non-stick frying pan with the vegetable oil then cool for 10 minutes.
5. Cook the chicken in a roasting tin in a pre-heated oven at 110°C for 30 – 35 minutes until golden brown.
6. Heat up the Thai sweet chilli sauce and Chinese black vinegar in a saucepan. When hot, but not boiling, add the white onions, sweet mango and green apple, mix together and take off the heat, and put to one side.
7. Slice the chicken into 4-5 pieces.
8. Pour the sweet & sour sauce onto the chicken before serving. Recommend serving in a hot skillet if you have one.
9. Garnish with mustard cress and desiccated coconut. Serve with ½ lime and mixed salad leaves of your choice.