Category : FOOD
Makes 2 large calzones, serves 4, preparation time 15 minutes, cooking time, 15-20 minutes
- 2 x shop-bought, ready- rolled pizza doughs
- 2 cups (180g) grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (70g) chopped fresh mushrooms
- 8–10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 24 slices pepperoni
- 1 cup (240ml) Basic Tomato Sauce (p.200) or store-bought tomato sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
How to Prepare
1.Unroll both pizza doughs and set on your worktop, side-by-side. If the dough has a paper backing, leave that in place as it will make it easier to move around. If the dough doesn’t have a paper backing, set on a lightly floured sheet of greaseproof paper.
2. Working on one half of each circle of dough, place ½ cup (45g) of the grated cheese on each pizza dough, followed by ½ cup (35g) mushrooms, half of the tomatoes, half of the pepperoni and then the remaining cheese. Finally, top each pile of ingredients with ½ cup (120ml) of the tomato sauce.
3. Brush a little of the egg wash around the edges, then bring the other half of the dough over the top of the filling to form a half-moon shape. Crimp the edges of the dough together to seal, then brush the top of each Calzone with a little beaten egg.
4. To cook, slide the greaseproof paper onto a baking sheet and transfer to an oven preheated to 180°C/350°F/ gas mark 4 for 15-20 minutes until the Calzones are golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let the calzones cool for a few minutes before serving, as the filling will be very hot.