Taste the Iranian Stew
Category : FOOD
- Ras el hanout spices
- Mushroom stock
- Tomato purée
- 150g waxy potatoes, peeled and chopped into 4cm chunks
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 4cm chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 150g spinach or more if you like
- 100g Greek yoghurt
- 15g barberries
- Sunflower or olive oil
1. Heat the oven to 200°C fan/Gas mark 7. Put a large casserole dish or a deep roasting pan on medium heat. Put enough oil in the pan to cover the entire bottom. Once the oil is hot, fry the onion for 2 minutes.
2. In a saucepan, boil 500ml. While the water is coming to the boil, add the potatoes and butternut squash to the onions and stir well. Add more oil if the vegetables start sticking to the pan. The add the ras el hanout to the pan stirring all the ingredients to become coated in the spices. Allow to cook for 5 minutes. Then add the tomato paste and stir thoroughly through the mixture.
3. Once the water has come to the boil turn off the heat and add the mushroom stock. Stir until mixed through.
4. Add the tomatoes and optional barberries to the pan. Pour the mushroom stock over the vegetables, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the potatoes are semi-cooked.
5. Stir through the spinach and then pop the dish in the oven uncovered for 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are soft.
6. Remove from the oven and serve with a dollop of yogurt on the side if you like.
Enjoy the Stew!