SOUP WITH SHAMROCK CHEESE CROUTONS
Category : FOOD
Serves 4, preparation time 15 minutes, cooking time 20-25 minutes
- 60g/21⁄2oz butter
- 2 medium white onions, peeled and chopped
- 600g/1lb 5oz potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 800ml/11⁄2pt vegetable or chicken stock
- 240g/81⁄2oz sorrel leaves, shredded (if you can’t find sorrel leaves, rocket works just as well)
- Single cream or natural yogurt, to serve For the cheese croutons
- 2 slices thick wholemeal bread
- Olive oil or melted butter
- 100g/4oz grated Irish cheddar cheese
How to Prepare
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and potatoes and cook gently, covered, for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a pinch of salt and a good grinding of pepper. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the sorrel leaves and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender, blitz until smooth (you may have to do this in batches), and return to a clean pan.
- To make the cheese croutons, first, preheat the grill. Cut small shamrock shapes from the bread and brush lightly with olive oil or melted butter.
- Place the croutons on a tray and toast under the grill until golden. Turn them over, sprinkle with the grated cheese and grill until the cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, reheat the soup until piping hot. Ladle it into warmed bowls, swirl single cream or natural yogurt in a shamrock shape on top, and sprinkle over the croutons to serve.
ENJOY YOUR SOUP!
Please follow and like us: