Marbled Banana Bread
Category : FOOD
Nonstick cooking spray
3/4 cup plain flour, plus extra for dusting the pan
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 medium very ripe bananas
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
HOW TO PREPARE
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C. Lightly mist a 9-by-5-inch metal loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust well with all-purpose flour to cover the pan completely, tapping out the excess.
2. Put the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring, until melted and smooth, 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds. Set aside to cool slightly while preparing the batter.
3. Combine the bananas and sugar in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until mostly smooth with just a few small pieces of banana left. Add the oil and eggs and stir until combined. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix in both flours, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.
4. Stir 1 cup batter into the melted chocolate. Fill the loaf pan with half the banana batter and then half the chocolate batter. Repeat the layers and gently swirl together using a spoon or knife. Bake until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
5. Cool in the pan 15 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve warm or at room temperature.