- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon melted and more for greasing dish
- 1 cup dry orzo pasta
- 6 cups broccoli florets (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Havarti
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan, or vegetarian alternative
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
Preheat the oven to 190°C. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the orzo, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli florets and cook until bright green, about 1 minute. Strain and set aside.
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the butter and flour, whisk together and cook for about 1 minute. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the milk, bring the sauce to a low boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add 1 cup of the Havarti, sour cream, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Gently fold in the broccoli and orzo.
Transfer the mixture to the buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup Havarti and 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Toss the bread crumbs with the remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter in a small bowl. Season with salt and spread evenly over the casserole. Bake until brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.